**Starting with Windows 10 version 1903, you don’t need to install the RSAT install package because it is already built into the operating system. Skip to step 3 of this document, if you are on Windows 10 version 1903 or later. **
Step 1: Download the Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT) install package
- You can download the install here:
Step 2: Run the Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT) installer
- Double click the install file to run the installer
- Select “Yes” to install the standalone update
- Select “I accept” on the license terms
- Click on restart now; If you are not prompted to reboot, manually reboot the machine
Once the computer reboots the RSAT tools should be installed. At one point you had to go into Programs and Features and add the additional feature but it looks like that is now done automatically. You can verify the features have been added with step 3.
Step 3: Verify Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT) install
- In the search box type “Windows features” and Select “Turn Windows features on or off”
- In the Windows Features box, scroll down and find Active Directory Lightweight Directory Service and check the box. Then select OK.
- Now you can start using Active Directory. The application is located under Start/Windows Administrative Tools/Active Directory Users and Computers.